Skip To Main Content

Proof Of Residency

The Indiana Department of Education requires school corporations to maintain accurate proof of residency for each student in the student’s electronic or hard copy file. Residency documents must be submitted upon initial enrollment and when there is a subsequent change of address.

All applicants must submit at least one document from each of the following columns:

Column A Column B Column C
  • Copy of deed or record of most recent mortgage payment
  • Copy of lease or record of most recent rent payment
  • Copy of legal affidavit from landlord affirming tenancy and record of most recent rent payment
  • Copy of title work, closing papers, or paperwork from recorder’s office
  • Copy of signed Purchase Agreement for an upcoming move into the district (*)
  • Copy of signed Lease Agreement for an upcoming move into the district (*)

Copy of a utility bill or work order dated within the past 60 days, including: 

  • Gas bill 
  • Oil bill 
  • Electric bill 
  • Home telephone bill 
  • Cell phone bill 
  • Cable bill 
  • Other bills (trash removal, satellite TV, sewer bill, water bill, etc.) 
  • Physician’s bill 
  • Automobile bill 
  • Student or government loan bill 
  • Letter from approved governmental agency or current employer
  • Payroll stub 
  • Bank or credit card statement
  • Unemployment check
  • Welfare/government assistance check

Copy of:

  • Valid Indiana driver’s license with current address 
  • Current vehicle registration 
  • Valid Indiana photo identification card

Dated within the past year:

  • W-2 form
  • Excise (vehicle) tax bill
  • Property tax bill


Copies of mail addressed to post office box numbers will not be accepted. Students will be placed on a class list and can begin attending when the school receives and has processed at least one document for proof of residency listed above. Residency verification is to be completed with all documents submitted within 45 days of the student’s first day in attendance, or within 45 days of relocation to a new residence.

*Families not currently residing within HSE Schools' boundaries but who have a signed lease agreement or purchase agreement to move into the district boundaries must complete a Transfer Appeal. Additionally, families who would like their children to attend a different school other than their assigned home school, must complete a Transfer Appeal.

**The residency procedure does not apply to homeless students. For more information, please contact the Administration Office at 317-594-4100