Welcome to Preschool! We are happy you have found us.
Our district provides a public preschool program for children aged three until they are eligible for kindergarten. The program is inclusive, catering to both special education and typically developing students who pay tuition. Preschool classrooms are situated at Brooks School, Sand Creek, and Hoosier Road Elementary.
Our program is 5 days a week, for 3 hours each day. Our teachers are licensed early childhood and special education teachers. Our team includes speech, occupational and physical therapists, and school psychologists to support students in need of services. We teach skills based on Indiana's Early Learning Foundations, which are academic and functional standards for preschoolers. Learn more about the foundations of our curriculum
here: Indiana Early Learning Foundations
We believe that children need an environment that fosters the natural acquisition of foundational school skills through play, intentional teaching of social and self-care skills, and instruction based on the developmental needs of each child. Our staff is highly skilled in reaching young learners to help them prepare for school and life in the 21st century.
Please call or email us with any questions you have. We are proud of our program and our community!
Jeanne R. Baldwin
Coordinator, Hamilton Southeastern Preschool
- About Our Program
- Locations and Hours
- Family Education
- Student Handbook
- Meet the Preschool Staff
• Designed for children ages 3-5 years, who are not kindergarten age
• Days filled with the hands-on study of the natural sciences
The Preschool of the Natural Sciences for HSE Schools is based on the belief that children are naturally curious and eager to learn. This is a critical period of time for our youngest learners and an opportunity for our schools to support and push the growth of their overall development. This is accomplished by marrying authentic and thoughtful project work in the natural science areas with foundational academic skills. Our learners deserve a quality preschool experience in a school learning community that values, enhances, promotes and respects the intellectual and social-emotional growth of young children.
We believe all children are capable, creative, unique social learners eager to explore and communicate.
We offer half-day preschool. Morning class hours are held Monday-Friday from 8:15 - 11:15. Afternoon classes are held Monday-Friday from 12:15 - 3:15. In our program, children who are 3 years old and early 4 years old typically attend in the morning, and children who are older 4-years-old and 5-years-old attend in the afternoon. Children must reside within HSE Schools to attend.
Our Preschool classes are located at Brooks School Elementary, Sand Creek Elementary, and Hoosier Road Elementary. Preschool placement is based on home elementary for kindergarten.
At HSE Preschool, we believe families are partners in their child's education. It is hoped that the whole-child learning that takes place at school can continue at home. To support that development, here are some resources you may find beneficial.
If you have specific questions or would like additional information, please feel free to reach out to your child's teacher or therapist.
|Getting Ready for Preschool||Ideas for Preschool Readiness (PowerPoint)|
|Communication||Video||Getting to the Core of Language||LAMP Chart||Visual Supports Presentation|
|Reading||Video||Why We Read Aloud||Tips for Reading Aloud||Reading With Your Child|
|How to Read Aloud with a Squiggly Child||Reading Tips for Parents of Toddlers||Great Books to Read Aloud for Preschoolers|
|5 Ways to Read to Active Children||1,000 Hours of Lap Time|
|Fine and Gross Motor Skills||Video||Motor Development (PowerPoint)|
|Self-Regulation and Mindfulness||Video||Little People Big Feelings|
|Kindergarten Readiness||What Should Parents Know?|
Welcome to the HSE Preschool of the Natural Sciences. We are so honored you have chosen HSE for your child’s preschool. We hope your time with us will be filled with growth, happiness and a love of learning.
The HSE Preschool of the Natural Sciences is part of Brooks School Elementary, Hoosier Road Elementary and Sand Creek Elementary.
We recognize preschool is a special time of learning for 3 to 5-year-olds, and there are some things unique to our program.
- Class hours are 8:15-11:15 a.m. or 12:15-3:15 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Dismissal begins at 11:05 a.m. and 3:05 p.m. You are considered late if your child is not picked up by 11:15 a.m. and 3:15 p.m.
- If your child is a car rider, please be on time for drop-off and pick-up. If you are late dropping off (after 8:23 a.m. or 12:23 p.m.), you will need to go to your school’s office to drop off your child. If you are late picking up, you will need to pick up your child from the school’s office. Please remember there is a late-pick-up policy. Following the third late pickup, you will be charged $10 for every 15 minutes late.
- HSE Preschool follows the school district calendar, with the exception of the start date. Please refer to the Preschool calendar for Family Fridays. On those days, children will not attend, but eLearning will be available.
- When Hamilton Southeastern Schools is on a two-hour delay, the morning class will not attend. However, the afternoon class will attend as normal.
- You must enroll online prior to attending school. When enrolling, you must provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate, immunization records and proof of residency. If you need assistance, please contact Lisa Jones, Preschool Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-915-4256.
- Children receiving special services are eligible for transportation. A form must be completed and given to your child’s teacher. Please do not contact the transportation office. The transportation scheduler or your child’s driver will contact you with pick-up and drop-off times. Please know it may take up to a week for transportation to begin.
- All children will attend 5 days per week.
- All children pay a non-refundable enrollment fee that covers snack, school supplies, and consumable materials. There is no supply list for preschool, but teachers may ask for specific items like a family photo or journal.
- Monthly tuition is due by the 5th of each month. Tuition is $300 per month.
- Tuition payments may be made by exact cash or check in the vestibule outside the Brooks School Elementary office or on-line via E-Funds. To pay on-line you will need to enter the amount you owe, and you will need your child’s ID number. This number is listed in Skyward as Other ID.
- If you wish to withdraw, please notify your classroom teacher and Lisa Jones, Preschool secretary, at email@example.com or 317-915-4256. Please note, supply fees and tuition deposit are non-fundable.
- Please check your child’s backpack on a daily basis.
- All children need a change of clothes.
- Children play at preschool, and they may get dirty. Please also send the children in gym shoes as they are safer for the playground.
- If your child will be absent, please contact his teacher and the transportation office (if necessary) at 317-594-4117.
- If your child has been ill, they must be symptom-free for 24 hours, without the use of medication, prior to returning to school. This is the HSE illness policy.
- If weather permits, children will go outside each day. Please make sure they are dressed appropriately. The children go outside unless the temperature is below 15 degrees.
- Any adult picking up your child must be listed as an emergency contact in Skyward and present a photo ID.
- Your family is a member of the Brooks School, Hoosier Road or Sand Creek Elementary family. Please attend school-wide events and support the PTO efforts.
eLearning consists of no video conference lessons but rather more independent work/lessons. eLearning will be used for school closings, such as weather, and Family Fridays. Please refer to the Preschool calendar for those planned eLearning days. Teachers will post to Canvas by 8:15 a.m.
We use Canvas as our platform for delivering eLearning. We realize Canvas may be new to some families. There are resources available to help you set up your account.
We love having family members volunteer. Classroom volunteers are used at the discretion of the teacher. A few things to remember:
- When you volunteer, you are not only spending time with your child but lending a helping hand as well. You may be asked to work in an area of the room where your child is not participating.
- Teachers must keep information about other students confidential. Please do not ask questions about other children or use your volunteer time to have a conference.
- Please do not share personal information, such as names of students, outside of the classroom.
- Siblings are not allowed to be in attendance.
- You must complete a background check with the district and watch an anti-bullying video.
- Please know your child may act differently with you in the room. Some children have difficulty with family members present.
The phone number for HSE preschool is 317-915-4256.
Jeanne Baldwin, Preschool Coordinator, may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The method of class communication varies by teacher. All teachers will communicate on a daily basis. Teachers will also post weekly updates to their Canvas pages.
Per the district policy, photographs of children may be used in school communications (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.) unless the family writes a letter stating they do not give permission. That letter may be given to your child’s teacher.
Birthdays are a special time, but due to the number of Hamilton Southeastern students who have various food allergies, no birthday treats will be allowed at school. Goodie bags may not be sent home either. Birthday party invitations may be handed out at school if there is one for each child.
Curriculum and Progress Reports
Through interests and the Indiana Preschool Foundations, children and teachers will engage in in-depth investigations that maximize each student’s potential and develop them into 21st-century learners and leaders. The classroom is a language-rich, social environment. Communication skills, sharing, turn-taking and play are at the forefront of our program.
While the schedule may vary, the Preschool day contains the following:
- Structured Learning – Children are working on fine motor and readiness skills, such as sitting at a table to complete a task, independent practice, and social skills. Activities may include puzzles, stringing beads, counting objects, or using an eye dropper.
- Community Circle – During this large group instruction, children listen to read-alouds, participate in music and movement and learn social and self-regulation skills. This is also a time to discuss the daily schedule.
- Small Group Instruction – Located in different parts of the room, children rotate from area to area to work independently and with adults. Knowing how to follow a routine and multi-step directions and how to complete a task are important to school readiness skills.
- Exploratory Play – This is an open-ended time for children and adults to play with one another in areas of the room such as dramatic play, blocks, sensory table and light table. Exploratory Play allows children to expand upon their interests and build social-emotional skills.
- Outdoor Play – Time on the playground, weather permitting.
Children also participate in Math Workshops and Writer’s Workshop and project-based learning.
At the HSE Preschool, we do not have weekly themes. Each class learns about topics of interest to the children. During the year, they may discuss:
- Community helpers
- Healthy bodies
Learning will take place through read-alouds, study trips, and hands-on activities to deepen children’s knowledge.
At the end of the second nine weeks and at the end of the year, report cards will be available on Skyward. For students who receive services, a separate quarterly report will be sent home with information on IEP goal progress.
For a list of teachers and the instructional assistants and Therapists they work with, please explore this document.