Text Resizing

Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions

I live just outside of the HSE boundary.  Can I attend HSE Schools?
Unfortunately, no. HSE Schools is a closed border school which means you must live within the District boundaries to attend HSE Schools.  

When should my child start school?

Parents often enroll their children in preschool prior to kindergarten or elementary school. Most preschools accept children at 3 years old or older, but the age to start preschool can vary. Educators agree that children who attend a preschool with experienced staff and a stimulating environment are better set up for success in later years.
Does HSE have a preschool?
Yes, HSE Schools does offer a preschool.  To learn more about our preschool offerings, visit https://pre.hseschools.org/about/welcome
How old does my child need to be to start kindergarten at HSE Schools?
Any child who is age five (5) on or before August 1 of a school year will be admitted to the kindergarten program at Hamilton Southeastern Schools. Parents may appeal for “early entrance to kindergarten” if they turn five (5) years of age between August 2 and on or before September 30 of the enrolling school year.  Parents will need to submit an Application for Early Entrance to Kindergarten prior to enrollment.  The appeal process automatically grants eligibility for early entrance to kindergarten to any child who will be five (5) years of age on or before September 30 of the enrolling year as verified by an official birth certificate.

What if my child did not attend Kindergarten, can they enroll directly into 1st grade?
This decision requires more in-depth conversation and consideration. If a student enrolls in school and has not attended kindergarten, the superintendent or designee shall make a determination as to whether the student shall enroll in Kindergarten or 1st Grade.  You'll need to follow the Early Entrance to 1st Grade Procedures. You will be contacted to discuss this placement further. 

When do I need to enroll my child?  Is there a deadline?
While there is not a specific "deadline", we do ask that you enroll your child as soon as possible. It helps the District ensure correct staffing levels with class sizes and it places you on our parent school communication distribution list. Your school principal will also have your information and you’ll be able to receive school communication materials and invites to spring and summer events. 
Does my child need any immunizations?
School immunization requirements are determined by the Indiana State Department of Health.  For more information, please visit the Indiana Department of Education website at: DOE: Immunizations (in.gov)
What do I need in order to register and enroll my child in school?
Step 1: Determine which school your student will attend by visiting our Google Map. The school your student will attend is determined by your home address. Still don't know? Search by subdivision.
Step 2: Get your application started. It’s quite simple to enter your basic information and save your file to come back to when you have your other documents ready. 
Gather the following information and documents:
     State-issued Birth Certificate
     Photo ID
     Proof of Guardianship or Custody
     Proof of Residency
     Current Immunization Records
Step 3: Complete the online registration. If you're new to the district, you'll have to create a NEW Skyward account. If you already have children in the district, you'll need to log into Family Access on Skyward. Select "new student online enrollment" in the upper left-hand corner. Remember to complete each section of the enrollment. You will not be able to submit the final enrollment information to the district unless ALL SECTIONS have been completed. If you are having trouble enrolling online, please contact your child's school.

I am building a house, what if I do not have my proof of residency yet?  Are there other documents you will take instead?
Yes, this is quite common in our growing community. Please complete your registration with all of the documents you have. Then reach out to the registrar for your school. They will be able to make accommodations for you to submit either a building contract or other paperwork to serve as a placeholder until you establish a mortgage statement or utility bill.  

We just moved to the area and I cannot seem to located my child's birth certificate.  Can I enroll without it?
Please go ahead and submit your enrollment online using all of the information and documents you have on hand. Then, reach out to the registrar at your school to let her know you're still locating it.  She can earmark that account for follow-up once you have received it and arrange to obtain a copy. 

Can I attend a school that is different from the one my neighborhood attends?
It may be possible for you to attend a different school but you will have to provide your own transportation.  You will need to follow the Transfer Appeal Process
What happens once I finish online enrollment?
Once your online enrollment has been submitted, you will be notified via email of its completion.  You will receive a Skyward login where you will find information you will need with regards to teacher assignment, class schedule, bus route, etc. Please note this information typically populates the week prior to the start of the school year.  In upper grades, you will also meet with a counselor to go over classes, etc.  Those meetings will occur towards the end of the current school year, or prior to the start of school if you enroll over the summer.
Who should I call if I have questions about the enrollment process?  
Once you know what school your child will attend, you can reach out to the registrar or guidance department at that school for assistance. 
My child’s school is closed for summer break, do I need to wait until they open back up to complete enrollment?
No.  Our administration building is open year round to assist families.  Please call us at 317-594-4100 if you have any questions.  We also offer summer registration days in July for families who need to complete enrollment.  That schedule will be posted on our website with days, times and locations.

Hamilton Southeastern Schools

  • Central Office
  • 13485 Cumberland Road, Fishers, IN 46038
  • Office Hours: M - F 7:30am - 4:30pm 
  • (317) 594-4100  (800) 905-6665

  • To send a general inquiry email to the District Administration Office, click here

Our Mission

Hamilton Southeastern Schools, as a forward-thinking school district, provides excellence in education and opportunities to ensure the success of each and every student, to become a responsible citizen and to positively influence an ever-changing world community.

Non-Discrimination & Non-Harassment Statement, ADA & Title IX, VI, VII Compliance Information